Who is God?
God is the Sovereign Creator of heaven and earth, and ruler and judge over all things. Because all things were created by Him all things are subjected to Him. Colossians 1:16, Job 41:11
Where did God come from?
The question of God’s existence before creation has been asked by believers and nonbelievers alike. The Bible our only source of information about God does not answer this question.
Still, all that God wanted us to know about Him is written in His Word; the bible.
WHAT WE KNOW
- God is infinite – He is without limits.
- God is one – He is one existing as 3, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 1 John 5:7.
- God is the Creator – All things were made by Him. Gen 1:1, Job 41:11, Genesis 1, Genesis 2 tells us all about God’s creation.”
- God is Omnipotence – He is all-powerful. There is nothing He cannot do nor does he require help. Jeremiah 32:27, Matthew 19:26, Gen 17:1.
- God is Omnipresent – He is everywhere. We cannot escape Him. God sees all that we do and hears our every word. Ps 139:7- 8.
- God is Omniscience – He is all knowledgeable, which qualified Him to be Sovereign ruler. Psalm 147:5.
- God is Eternal – He has no beginning and His existence will never end. Ps 102:27.
- God is Immutable – He cannot change. He is trustworthy, we can rely on Him. Malachi 3:6
- God is Incomparable – There is no one like Him nor equal to Him, and no one who can do the work He does. Isaiah 45:5, Isaiah 43:10-11, Isaiah 40:25-26
- God is Unfathomable – He is impossible to understand, Isaiah 55:8-9, Job 26:14, Psalm 147:5, Isaiah 40:28,
- God is Just – He does not show favoritism, nor is He a respecter of person. He does not prosecute the innocent, and He always gives warning to His people over and over before He exercises judgment on them. Isaiah 61:8, Deuteronomy 32:4,
- God is Approachable – God invites us to talk to Him, Ps 145:18,
We can also learn more about God through
- His creation
- His divine names
- His works
- His attributes
- His love (sacrificing His Son Jesus Christ to redeem the world from our sins).
God understands that what he has revealed about Himself is enough for us to trust Him without having all the answers. He didn’t leave us in the dark. Getting to know about Him begins with His word, but getting to know Him in an intimate way requires spending time with Him for the development of that relationship.
By reading and meditate on His word daily, by praying and talking with Him all through our day, by seeking Him for guidance in whatever we do we will begin to develop a healthy fear and a deep appreciation for Him. Psalms 25:14 says He reveals things about Him to those who fear Him. Intimacy is essential to knowing and fearing God.
There is a peace that comes when you understand who God is, which causes you to trust Him and accept the plans that He has for our lives. He wants us to know Him and is waiting for anyone who wants to get to know Him better.