If you were to die today where do you think your soul will go? Is there life after death? Does our soul live after our physical body dies? These are just a few of the questions asked on the topic Life After Death. While there are many doctrines on this topic there is really only one truth, and it is found in the word of God. We must know what this truth is so that we can teach others because only this truth really matters. Remember, the word of God remains true whether we choose to believe it or not.
What we know; the process
- BIRTH: Gen 2:7 God formed man from the dust of the ground.
- DEATH: Ecc 12:7 Man return to the earth where he was taken from.
- JUDGMENT: Heb 9:27 It is appointed unto man once to die then to be judged.
Scripture also tells us that man is made up of both materials (visible) and immaterial (invisible) characteristics.
- Our body Our physical being (flesh) that can be seen and touch, with blood, organs, bones, flesh, cells. We don’t doubt this material. This part of us will die one day. Genesis 3:19, Job 34:15, Mat 10:28
- Our soul is a part of us that we cannot see; our mind, our emotions, and will. We don’t doubt that we have a soul because we think, feel emotions, and make choices. The soul can be destroyed. Mat 10:28
- Our spirit A part of us that cannot be seen but is really the true us. God breathes in the first man Adams nostrils the breath of life, and Adam’s physical body came to life. Without God’s breath, the body is of no use. The spirit of all men belongs to God, Numbers 27:16. And they cannot be destroyed. They go back to God when the physical body dies. Luke 23:46, Ecc 12:7, Acts 7:59. One day, at the time God appointed, some will enter eternal life and others to eternal damnation John 5:29.
The message, not whether we use the word hell or the Greek word Hades is the big issue here. The torment begins after death for those who die unsaved, and we need to get that message out. Jesus’ story tells of a place of consciousness, where the unsaved dead will abode in a tormented state. This Greek word Hades means the place (state) of departed souls, the grave, and in some translation hell; a holding place that people go to when they die. In this place, the rich man was in torment on one side, and Abraham and the beggar Lazarus on another side. There was a great gulf fixed designed, so that the people from both sides the righteous and the unrighteous, cannot cross over and intermingle. No one spends their eternity in this place; it is not the final destination of the unrighteousness, the lake of fire is. One day this place will be destroyed, thrown into the lake of fire according to Revelation 20:14.
We cannot discount this example. Some believe a loving God will never create such a place. Whether we overlook, ignore, or choose not to believe, His word remains true and endures forever. Isaiah 40:8. Remember, only those who love Jesus will keep His words naturally John 14:23. Those who choose to reject what is written are those who do not love Him. They will be judged on the last day by the same word they rejected. John 12:48
Who are the unrighteous?
Those whose souls are lost, they will never enter eternity with God. They will be thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever. Below are a few scriptural references, but there is a more extensive list.
- Rev 20:15. Those whose name was not found written in the book of life.
- Rev 21:8. Those who practice unrighteous living.
- Rev20:10, Mat 25:41. The devil and his angels.
- Mat 25:41-46. Those who ignore others in need.
- Rev 19:20. The beast and The False prophets who deceived people.
- Rev 14:11. Those who take the mark of the beast.
- Luke 13:27. Those who Jesus rejected because they didn’t know Him.
- Rev 21:8. Those who practice magic arts, the idolaters, and all liars.
Who are the righteous?
Those who are saved, and whose names are found written in the book of life because they believed with their heart that Jesus Christ is Lord. They gave their lives to Him and practice living a righteous life.
Is there life after death?
According to Rev 21:3- 4, Rev 21:22-23, Daniel 12:2, and many other scriptures, some will enter eternal bliss, where there will be no more pain nor sorrows. The bible refers to that as living forever, and God will be in the midst of them. While others will enter into eternal punishment in the lake of fire where they will be tormented forever and ever. The bible refers to this as the second DEATH which really means an unending separation between them and God. After death, there WILL be life. Eternal life and Eternal suffering.
We pray that you are living a life that will take you to eternal life with God an not eternal punishment with the devil and his angels?